Last Updated: 03/31/99
is Destination Saturn?
Destination Saturn is the OEM version of
Descent 1. It was named after the name of the last planets of the packaged levels:
Destination Saturn has the first 15 levels incl. 1 secret level, hence it features all
planets from Mercury to Saturn.
Some hardware products like the Gravis
Phoenix deliver it.
are the differences to the full version?
There are some differences to the full
- Only 15 (+1 secret) levels.
- Level 7 has a reactor instead of the boss.
- Level 15 is a new level, with the boss of
Level 7 moved into. The quality of that new level however is far below the others'. It
does not even have the typical "start place door".
- All other levels (L1-6, L8-14, Secret 1) are
- After the 15th level you get a debriefing
that offers you to buy the full version for a special price.
- It only has 15 musics (the first 15). This
is of course only of interest if you play an add-on mission that has more than 15.
- A special 5-level-multiplayer set called
"Modem Mayhem" is delivered with Destination Saturn, instead of the standard
Note: Unlike Descent 2: Destination Quartzon this version supports
Nope. Interplay never released a patch for
any of the Quartzon versions.
it compatible to the full version in multiplayer etc.?
- Multiplayer is fully compatible, as long as
you are NOT playing one of the altered internal missions (Level 7, 15). Since Destination
Saturn supports add-on missions you can however join any other mission as long as its
installed in your D1 dir.
- Demos can be swapped between the versions.
Same restrictions as above.
- Players and save-games can be swapped. Save
games again with the same restriction.